We all know that poor morale causes agent churn and that lack of positive leadership can contribute to these maladies. We may even suspect that we, as managers, may be doing something wrong. But what should we do about it? Make some notes on the following thoughts and then execute in the coming weeks:
- Copy success – as a leader, write down things done by your former leaders that created a positive influence on you and try to emulate those qualities, attributes and actions.
- Get help through mentorship – good leaders are not afraid to seek help. Identify a leader (either from within or external to your organization, from perhaps a networking group, etc.) and ask them to mentor you. Once you seek help, be willing to follow the guidance of your mentor. There is no value in seeking help and assistance and not taking the medicine prescribed. Be willing to change!!
- Listen – listening to the voice of the agent works wonders. Be humble and ask them to evaluate you on your performance; find out from their perspective those things that are working and those things that need improvement. Work to truly understand their needs.
- Keep others informed – let team members, and even subordinates know that you are trying to correct problems. Ask them for feedback along the way.
- Be caring – when leaders stop caring, followers stop caring. Show compassion and a true sense of engagement with others. Address the personal needs of the people within the contact center, not just those of corporate superiors.
In short, open your mind, your ears and your heart – but be organized about it. Pick one or two things to change and then execute and monitor. Once you have some success with your first initiatives, you can move on to others. You CAN make a real difference!
This CallTalk Caramel was compiled and edited by Bruce Belfiore and Kamal Webb from a CallTalk episode with Kirk Weisler. Click here to listen to this show entitled.
CallTalk is a monthly internet radio program featuring the most innovative managers and thought leaders in the customer contact field, interviewed by BenchmarkPortal CEO, Bruce Belfiore. “Caramels” distills “Aha!” moments from these interviews into practical, bite-sized nuggets to inform and assist you as a contact center professional.